Tuesday, January 17, 2012

10w3d: Dietitian

I started doing research on multiple pregnancies when we found out there were two little ones in there and read very different things on nutrition. First, the standard singleton pregnancy guidelines don't apply so most books and websites are worthless. Second, the most extreme recommendation said to eat 3500 calories a day. Granted, it was a very balanced diet of healthy foods, but that is a lot!

When I made my first OB appointment, I immediately asked for a referral to a dietitian. Chris and I both went to the appointment and the lady we met with was super helpful. I walked through what I typically eat in a day, including all snacks. She took my height, weight, and current diet into consideration and said that I needed to add about 600 calories a day for 1900 total. Phew! That is totally manageable and way more reasonable than 3500. There is no way I could go from ~1300 calories a day to 3500 and be healthy.

The biggest component I need to add is more protein. The rest of my food groups are well represented and I'm drinking plenty of water (100-120+ oz per day). She suggested adding a scrambled egg to my breakfast, making sure I'm eating some type of protein with lunch and dinner, and including it in snacks (milk, greek yogurt, string cheese, peanut butter). I've also added a daily protein supplement drink or a smoothie with protein powder.

She said I should aim to gain between 1.5 and 2 pounds each week during the second trimester. She also cautioned that my opportunity to gain weight will end around 28 weeks. At that point, the babies will take up so much room that I won't be able to eat enough, so it is important that I build up weight now to keep the pregnancy going well for the last ~10 weeks. The weight gained after 28 weeks will be baby, fluid retention, etc.

It was a great appointment with recommendations that we can easily incorporate. Besides keeping these babies in for as long as possible, this is my best shot at healthy birth weights.

No comments:

Post a Comment