Saturday, April 7, 2012

21w0d - 22w0d: We've Been Busy!

I was too busy (and I'll be honest, too tired) to post last week, so this might be a long one. I'll break it down into topics and you can skip what you want. Also, we finally added a couple pics from the anatomy scan to the prior post.

The size of my belly is as divisive as politics
I'm starting to feel big. It's harder to get off the couch and roll out of bed; bending over to touch the ground is officially out. Sorry Lucy, you're just going to have to eat the kibbles that missed your bowl off the floor. I hold my belly when going from sitting to standing to let it drop slowly otherwise it pulls the ligaments in my abdomen. I didn't even know these existed until pregnancy. It sends a pinch from the sides of my stomach down to...well, someone described it me as 'lightening crotch' and that was perfect.

People at work just can't help themselves when it comes to making comments about my belly. The problem is they can't agree on whether the size is normal. The other problem is I really don't want to hear it, but at least it gives me stories to tell. The following two exchanges occurred this past week - two days apart.

Act I - Too Small
Scene: filling up my water bottle in the kitchen, enter girl who works on the other side of the floor
Girl: "Hi. Whoa. Your belly is really small. I know I keep telling you this, but it's small."
Me: "Yeah, you do keep saying that." [Which is why I have been hiding in the bathroom stall until you finish washing your hands and leave just so we don't have to have this exact conversation.] "I'm only 21.5 weeks, there is still plenty of time for growth."
Girl: "It's not just that it's too small, it's that it hasn't grown for at least several weeks."
Me: Dumbfounded

Act II - Too Big
Scene: washing my hands in the bathroom, lady approaches the other sink. I can see her in the mirror staring at my belly.
Lady: "So, is your due date coming up soon?"
Me: [Oh boy, here we go. I knew I wasn't going to get out of this one in silence] "Nope, not due until early August."
Lady: "Oh, wow!" [Eyes really big, still staring at my midsection]
Me: [Smiled and just let the awkwardness hang out there.]
Lady: "Um... Hmm...Uh...your baby is a giant."
Me: "My baby is not a giant. There are two in there."
Lady: "Thank God."

I'm just not sure how to respond to these. "Thank you for your assessment, doctor" is what I really want to say, but that feels borderline rude to say to my coworkers. Ugh.

I have met Braxton Hicks and I don't like him
I've been having Braxton Hicks contractions for several weeks, but they have really picked up in the last two weeks. I have about 8 or so a day, most concentrated in the evenings. They don't hurt, but I just don't like my uterus getting all tense this early. I downloaded a contraction timer to my phone which has actually made me feel better because now I can clearly see how far apart they are and how long they last. Thankfully none have been consistent and they only last about 40-60 seconds. Still puts me on edge for a while.

Singled out, or I guess it should be 'twinned out'
During the past two weeks, Chris and I took a tour of the L&D section at our hospital and an all-day childbirth class. Both were very informative, especially if we were having a singleton. However, the instructors would explain something and then look at us and say, "except for you - talk to your doctor". So, here are the highlights that we learned (after talking to our doctor):

  • We will be delivering in an operating room regardless of method. Even if we have a vaginal delivery, they prefer to be set-up and ready for an emergency c-section, especially for Baby B as more complications can arise with the delivery of the second baby. Totally fine with us. 
  • We decided that we'll have an epidural placed (whether they immediately administer pain meds or not is up to us). Even if we start with both babies head-down, Baby B can flip as soon as A is out of the way. If she does that, we would have a breech extraction, which I've heard can be quite uncomfortable. Further, if we needed to do an emergency c-section, all they have to do is push the drugs which minimizes the chance of general anesthesia.
  • They will not stop spontaneous labor after 34 weeks
  • Assuming I don't go into labor on my own, my doctor is willing to let me go up to 40 weeks as long as the babies and placentas are doing well (that part is monitored by our MFM).
  • There will be at least a couple nurses in the delivery room for each baby. Depending on their gestational age, there may be neonatal nurses and doctors for each as well. In other words, the fewer the people, the healthier they expect the babies. 
  • There are no automatic qualifiers for NICU admits. Some hospitals admit babies to the NICU if they are under x weeks gestation or under x pounds, regardless if everything else is fine. This hospital does as-needed only.
  • Our hospital really encourages kangaroo care (skin-to-skin contact). As soon as possible after delivery - for most babies this is immediately - they put the baby on mom's chest and cover both with a blanket. If we end up with a c-section and as long as the babies are healthy, we will do this as soon as we get to recovery, before the babies are bathed and taken for a full assessment. It helps the babies adjust quickly (regulate heart rates, temperature, etc.) and facilitates immediate bonding and breastfeeding.

Our ultimate goal is to grow these babies to a healthy gestation and then deliver them safely. We are really open minded about the delivery and want to make sure everyone (babies, me, doctor) is comfortable. We will just take it one step at a time.

Regular OB check-up at 22 weeks, all is well
Chris was away on a business trip, so I went alone to a standard check-up. Blood pressure is still holding great, weight gain is on track, and besides the BH contractions, I've been well. Dr. B took a quick look at the babies and they were active! She commented that they are starting to get squished, B was rolled into a ball with her knees up at her face. A was a bit more stretched out. It looks like B flipped and both are currently head-down. Good babies! Anyway, she was happy with how everything looks and was comfortable with one more 4-week break between check-ups before we start going every 2 weeks.

Next up: MFM appointment on the 18th and Mom and Ally come for the weekend on the 20th! I was also sent home with the delicious looking orange drink for the gestational diabetes screening that will be done at the next OB appointment. Bottoms up!

21w0d

22w0d


No comments:

Post a Comment