Tuesday, September 11, 2012

An Encounter Outside Labor & Delivery

My OB's office is located at the hospital where we delivered. We were there last Friday for my 6 week postpartum check up and brought the babies to meet the staff. The appointment ran long so Chris had to dial into a meeting before we could get back into the car. While he was on his call, I walked the hospital hallways with the babies in the stroller praying that they wouldn't scream. I've given up praying for them to sleep. I wish I looked like the put-together-mom, but in reality I was wearing maternity jeans on an 85 degree day, going on 4.5 hours of broken sleep, and on-edge waiting for the ticking time bombs in the stroller to go off as I held a pacifier in Harrison's mouth with one hand and pushed the stroller with the other hand.

I walked past the elevators to the labor & delivery unit just as a clearly new dad loaded with bags and flowers got off. He saw us and said with curious eyes, "How old are your twins?" I said 6 weeks today. The excited dad then says, "We just had twins, too! We are bringing them home today! How is it?!" I looked at the eagerness in his eyes, saw that he was expecting me to tell him that it's wonderful and all I could get out was, "Uh....er....exhausting. [quick, think of something positive] But great. It's really great." The new dad was not phased at all. He said, "Cool!", and continued bouncing down the hallway. As I watched the kick in his step, I wanted to tell him that the only way he's walking with that much energy in the next six weeks is to get two wailing babies out of the grocery store. But he'll figure that out on his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment