Friday, December 16, 2011

6w0d: First Ultrasound

The wait between the beta and the first ultrasound was the longest two week wait we've ever had. I was so worried that something had gone wrong. I even had Chris call the nurse as I had no symptoms. I figured I should have been nauseous by 5 or so weeks. She was really sweet and offered to have me come in for another beta draw. When it came down to it, I declined. I decided it would just give me something else to obsess over and it wasn't going to change anything.

Finally ultrasound day arrived. Dr. NFB came in and asked how I was doing. I said fine but I was really worried something had gone wrong and there wouldn't be anything in my uterus. She said nothing, the image showed up on the screen and then she said, "hmm...how about two somethings?!" REALLY? We were so excited.

She found Baby A first and saw a heartbeat. I couldn't see it, but Chris said he saw a pixel flickering. She measured it at 103bpm, so it had just started beating.

Amazingly, she was also able to see Baby B's fetal pole. It measured a day behind with no heartbeat yet. Dr. NFB said that was totally fine. They have about a 50/50 chance of seeing heartbeats this early.

Dr. NFB ordered a blood draw to check my progesterone (P4) and estradiol (E2) levels. The nurse called in the afternoon to say that my P4 was 138 - high enough to drop my PIO dose down to 1cc from 2cc. E2 was still really high at 2800 so she said to stop taking the Estrace completely.

Here are our tiny babies (both are a little over 2mm; yes, millimeters):

It is REALLY hard to see the fetal poles. Thankfully, Dr. NFB is excellent at reading
ultrasounds. What is easily seen are the gestational sacs (black areas) and
yolk sacs (round circles inside the gestational sacs).  Baby B on left, A on right.

No comments:

Post a Comment