Friday, June 15, 2012

32 weeks: First NST

I had my first non-stress test this morning at the MFM office. They hooked up heart rate monitors and a contraction monitor to my belly and watched the lines print out on a piece of paper. They looked for two episodes of increased heart rates for each baby - a sign that they were active and that their little hearts responded accordingly.

Baby boy was finished in about 15 minutes, but baby girl was peacefully sleeping. So the nurse took this little device that buzzed and vibrated and stuck it on my belly near her little head. It totally startled both of them. They started kicking pretty hard. Both their heart rates jumped from 145ish to 165-170 instantly. It made me so sad that they were scared! I wanted to give them hugs. :-( Anyway, both babies passed just fine.

We had another nosy nellie comment today. Chris and I went to Chipotle for lunch and were sitting outside when a lady at the next table struck up the following conversation:
Lady: Hey, are you having a boy?
Me: Yes, and a...
Lady: I knew it! You don't look pregnant from behind and that means you are having a boy.
Me: Well, I was just about to add that we are also having a girl.
Lady: Oh. Twins! You look too small for twins.
Me: ::sigh:: Everyone is growing just fine.
Lady: How far along are you?
[WAIT! You just decided that I'm too small for twins and you have no idea if I'm 20 weeks or 38 weeks? Besides, how many twin bellies have you been around to know whether I am the right size?!]
Me: 32 weeks
Lady: Well, good luck. I wish I had gotten my two over with in one shot.

I really wanted to say, "As you thought it fair to tell me I look too small for twins I thought I'd tell you that you look too old for that skirt." Damn high road.

And, this is for our fellow UW/Seattle friends and family - we had a technician out to do some work today and he saw our degrees hanging on the wall. He said, "Washington? Cool! That's the Washington Huskies, right?" Yep! "We went there last summer. But we stayed in Virginia and just took a day trip in." Oh...so close!

32w0d

4 comments:

  1. People are so ridiculous. It's hard not to be mean to them. Some lady at the park the other day was telling me that Evie didn't say very many words "for such a big girl." I was like, "Lady, she says plenty. She's not even two yet. She's fine." "Oh, she's so big, I just thought she was older. She really is big. Wow, is she off the charts?" First she's too dumb, then she's too big? Just shut it, lady.

    Also, you look great. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are so rude! Well I have no idea what a pregnant mom should look like with twins at 32 weeks, but I think you look perfect from tip to toe!!! I love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris is going to put together an animated gif of all the pics at the end, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! My midwife buzzed Nora, too, and my whole tummy jumped! It was hilarious... as hilarious as it can be when you're worried about your baby's heart rate.

    ReplyDelete