Sunday, March 4, 2012

17w0d: Favorite Comments

There isn't much to report about the past week. No doctor appointments. I *might* have felt a couple little flutters over the past three days. I'm sure it won't be long before there is no question I'm getting kicked. :-)

I receive lots of comments, questions, and advice from people at work, many of whom are complete strangers. Most people are just trying to make conversation and I truly don't take any questionable comments poorly, but I thought I'd share some of my favorites:
  • Most FAQ by far: Do twins run in your family? I just respond, "We didn't think so, but they do now!" or "In another year and a half there will be lots of running." However, I had one lady proceed to ask how thoroughly I've researched my genealogy. After I said I haven't at all, she was adamant that I do some research to find out how this happened! Uh...all the family history searching in the world isn't going to explain this one. 
  • "Twins! You got it over in one shot. Now you don't have to do this again." Thank you for deciding the size of our family for us. 
  • "You could have a boy and a girl and then it would be the perfect family." Whatever we are blessed with will be perfect. We just want healthy babies.
  • "You could have a boy and a girl and then you don't have to have more children." See previous two bullets. 
  • "Is your husband upset about this?" No, should he be?
  • "Whoa - two? You are so small, I don't know how you are going to carry them to full term." Not helpful. Go away.
  • "You really should eat more." Thank you for judging my food intake off the one item I'm heating up. I also have 14oz of milk, apples, carrots, and chips & salsa in addition to this burrito...for lunch. I had a banana and a granola bar for my morning snack and will have greek yogurt, almonds, peanuts and a protein shake for my afternoon snack. I also eat breakfast, dinner and a snack before bed. 
  • "How many times a night do you get up to pee? Also, can you send me the full year revenue impact of ___ initiative?" I like talking about my bathroom habits and work all in the same sentence. Once or twice and $75 million. Anything else?
  • "Do you know what you are having?" Humans. Oh, you mean the sexes. Not yet. Favorite response: "Good, that's the way it should be done. I don't know why people even want to know these days." Well, don't repeat that question to me after March 21. 
  • "Definitely enroll them in a daycare center." "Don't use a center, find an in-home." "Get a nanny." "Your husband works from home - he can watch them." On that last one...you are kidding, right? These aren't kittens. 
  • "I'll give you the code to the new mother's room - there is a couch so you can take a nap." Someone else: "I'll give you the code to the new mother's room, but whatever you do, don't sit on the couch. It's disgusting."
  • And finally, my most favorite: "You are the cutest pregnant girl ever. You seriously should take up a side job modeling maternity clothes." Aww, thank you! I'm going to write that down and reread it when I feel like a giant balloon.
17w0d

6 comments:

  1. 1) Apparently being pregnant makes you a magnent for inappropriate questions and comments...eek!
    2) I completely agree with the last comment!!
    3) The handful of people I have told have responded with either, "Do twins run in your family?" or, "I didn't know they were trying!" For the second comment, I really want to respond with, "Oh, I guess they forgot to update their Facebook status when they started trying!" :-)
    4) I love you guys so much and can't wait to see you in April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People come up with the weirdest crap to say to strangers when there's pregnancy/a kid involved. Once I was in the grocery store with my niece, well before I was pregnant or had kids, and some woman came up to me and was all, "Don't worry, you'll lose the baby weight eventually." I told her, "Thanks, but this is my niece. I'm just overweight."

    You are a super cute pregnant lady, that person was right. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are looking awesome, Emily! Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have people started patting your belly yet? I'm sure it will happen if it hasn't already. I have to admit that I'd love to do that myself. Pat it (them) for me please.

    I agree with the others about being cute. Pregnant looks good on you and you could model materity clothes.

    Love and hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fellow twinmama's favorites:
    1. "Twins! Are they natural?" Um, nope, they're synthetic.
    2. "A boy and a girl, WOW! Are they identical?" *FACEPALM* Really!?

    You look great, Emily!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather, those are my favorites speaking AS a twinmama. :)

      Delete