Thursday, October 13, 2011

Taking the Plunge

Let me get this straight - the girl who can't pick out her own splinters is supposed to give herself injections. Without fainting. I have not watched a needle pierce my skin in 20 years. Whose bright idea was this?

This morning was my first Lupron injection. I preceded this event with a terrible dream where I forgot I'm not supposed to inject the entire vial and after a dozen injections realized I had overdosed on it. Not comforting. While I dried my hair I decided that I can totally do this. The needle is small and I have many of these, so best to just jump right in and get it done.

I got the syringe prepped with 10 units of Lupron and right as I turned the needle toward my stomach, Chris reminded me that I forgot to ice the injection site to numb it. Oh. Good idea. As I was icing, Chris announced that watching me put in earrings gives him goosebumps and this was way worse, so he would be walking away now. Chris - you have less than 3 weeks to get over it because you have to give me the intramuscular injections. And you better keep your eyes open!

Ok - iced, cleaned with alcohol, skin pinched, syringe in hand. Just stick it in. Go. Do it. Now. I had the same feeling I had when I was little and standing at the top of the high diving board staring at the pool below. I was so confident as I climbed the ladder and walked across the board and then right before I jumped, dread and fear took over and rendered me motionless.

Hearing Chris make breakfast downstairs brought me back to the situation at hand. I love breakfast and was starving. So, I pushed the needle in, depressed the plunger, and pulled it back out. DONE! I DID IT!

It stung more than I had expected. Rookie mistakes or were my expectations too high? Probably both, but I survived and get to do it again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment