Saturday, October 1, 2011

I Didn't Faint!

Because you already know more about me than you ever thought you would, I will just add that I faint easily. Chris comes home with a scraped arm, I end up lying on the floor. Dermatologist removes a few spots, I end up with my head between my legs while sipping a juice box. I owe my wonderful father for all that he has given me. However, this one counts as a demerit.

When were at the IVF consultation, Dr. NFB listed off the items for which she wanted a blood test. Then she added the required infectious diseases and we opted to add the cystic fibrosis and spinal muscular atrophy genetic panels. You know what her response was to the list? "Well, that will be a lot of blood at that draw." Ummm...1) a doctor thought that would be a lot of blood, 2) Doctor NO FUNNY BUSINESS thought that would be a lot of blood.

You can imagine all the nightmare scenarios I created for myself over the past two weeks. I told Chris that if I pass out to please just tell them to shake me awake and not overreact. I actually considered carrying an index card that read, "I faint easily. If I'm out, just finish taking my blood and wake me up." It took me an hour to fall asleep last night.

We arrived at the office this morning and I was taken, as usual, right on time. The lab tech stuck in the needle (didn't hurt) and we sat there. I don't know what was going on because my eyes were closed and I was singing songs in my head. Then she breaks the silence."Sorry this is taking so long. These vials are pretty big." "Oh, that's fine. How many have I filled?" "About half of the first one. You have four of these and then a smaller one." "Oh." In my head: SHIT!!! I need more songs!

Lots of time passed. I filled all the vials and then actually had the guts to look at my accomplishment. I was impressed with myself. I proudly walked back into the waiting room and one of the nurses, whom I chat with whenever we are there, walks over and says, "Hey, I just opened your chart and see that Chris has a blood work order too. Can we do that today?" YES! STICK HIM!

He only had to give one vial, but he got The Tape! The Tape that is so sticky it hurts far worse than any needle. I shaved my arms last night in preparation for The Tape. Chris did not. :-)

We rewarded ourselves and the start of this incredible process with post-appointment coffee, diet cokes with lunch, and wine with dinner. I will resume my good habits later.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! and good job on not fainting. Chris might want to consider arm shaving before each visit - just in csae!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cracked me up. I think a double decker at Jeni's would have been in order.

    ReplyDelete