Sunday, September 4, 2011

First, A Few Rules

Hi, welcome. This is not the path to parenthood that I thought we would have to take. However, it is the path we are on.  I don’t know where it will lead or how long it will take to get there. But given that this process is so involved, and truthfully very emotional, I thought the easiest way to keep you up-to-date is through a blog. That way you can check-in when it’s convenient for you and I can update everyone at once, when I feel up for it. I do have a few conditions though:

1) I find it easiest and most therapeutic to write as if I were talking to you in person. Therefore, this will not be a literary work of art. I am giving little regard to proper grammar and sentence structure.

2) The entire reproductive process has become very clinical to us. Up until two years ago, I thought it was as simple as deciding you were ready for kids, pulling the goalie, and voila, about a year later you have a little family. Cute. How romantic. Not our story.

For nearly a year we have been immersed in all the little details of reproduction, and even more so once we started seeing a reproductive endocrinologist. Hormone levels, follicle counts, cycle days, sperm counts, medications, etc. are everyday conversation. The reproductive process is fascinating and intricate, especially for someone who likes to understand the way things work. Honestly, I’m amazed anyone can get pregnant without help. My apologies if you aren’t as comfortable with this as we are, but I will share anyway.  You can choose to skip what you don’t want to know.

3) Finally, please keep our journey confidential. This process has already made me feel completely out of control of my own body and my future. I am hanging on with a tight grip to the little pieces that I can control.  Telling people about it and opening up like I am with this blog is already a stretch for this very introverted person. I appreciate knowing that my thoughts are only being extended to those whom I have chosen. There will be a time when I will be comfortable with you speaking about this with others. I will let you know when that time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment