At this point I am willing to do anything to improve our chances of conceiving. We have no idea what is wrong and our remaining treatment cycles can be counted on one hand. Fixing this feels very much out of my control. Unlike anything I have ever encountered in my life, I can't just think about it hard enough and long enough to solve this one. My brain can't make sperm meet egg.
So I've decided to control everything that I can. Some of it may make sense, some of it may seem ridiculous. But I need to do whatever it takes for me to feel like I've set us up for success. For almost two years now I have avoided all NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - ibuprofen, naproxen) during the two week wait. Same with herbal teas.
This month I made a few more significant changes. I cut out caffeine and alcohol. I already drink decaf coffee and tea, but I put the diet cokes in the basement. I stopped getting iced teas when we go out to eat. And sadly, I have not popped open a beer, even after a long, hot day of yard work. Confession: Chris had one last Saturday and I had a couple swallows. I'm Catholic and Irish - I can't be expected to go 100% dry.
I also stopped exercising. It is widely known that strenuous exercise can stop ovulation, and therefore, fertility. But I came across some articles that suggested that some women have a very sensitive uterus and even moderate exercise can hinder implantation. I don't know if I'm one of those women. All I do know is that the month I was briefly pregnant was the same month that I wasn't exercising at all because of a stress fracture in my foot. Coincidence? Maybe. What does it hurt to not exercise for a few months and see what happens?
I still practice yoga. I try to avoid getting my heart rate above 110bpm so no hot or vinyasa yoga. The stretching and breathing does wonders for my mind and body. On that note, I have also tried to calm my worried and busy mind. I try for 10-20 minutes of meditation every evening before bed. It is hard!! But it works. I've had insomnia off and on my entire life. Lately it was all on. I'd sleep from 11:00 to 4:00 and that's it. The next two hours before my alarm went off were spent burning up the gears in my head. For the past month, I have been able to fall back asleep using my breathing and meditation techniques. I think more sleep has put me in a better mood overall.
So, will all of this help? I don't know. But I certainly think the stakes are high enough that it's worth a try.

No comments:
Post a Comment