We
started the diagnostic regimen with my OB/GYN in November 2010. She first conducted a hysterospalpingogram (HSG) – bonus points if you can pronounce it. This is also referred to as a dye test. Not the most pleasant experience I’ve ever
had. An HSG is when contrast iodine is injected into the uterus while being observed with a continuous
x-ray. The point is to see if the
fallopian tubes are open and the uterus is normal. HOLY HELL that dye hurt. The whole experience was uncomfortable, but
the dye part was downright painful. The
information I read beforehand described it as “period-like cramps.” Bullshit! I’ve never had cramps like
that. Anyway, I survived and even went
back to work. Results: textbook – all clear!
She
also did a 7dpo (days past ovulation) blood test to check my thyroid and
progesterone levels. Both were normal
and the quantity of progesterone indicated that I had, in fact, ovulated. Finally, Chris had to have a sperm
analysis. If I can do the dye test, it’s
only fair that he have to do this. His
results: normal count, motility, and morphology.
We
had more diagnostic tests done when we switched to the reproductive
endocrinologist in May 2011. She took more of my
blood to check for a number of different hormones. One very important hormone is AMH
(anti-mullerian hormone) which indicates the remaining ovarian reserve. My results were exactly in the middle of the
normal range. She did an ultrasound to
check for ovarian cysts and endometriosis. All clear as well. Finally,
another sperm analysis for Chris. We
paid a little extra to have a strict morphology test, which is a harder one to “pass”. He passed.
The
only thing I haven’t had done is a laparoscopy, aka exploratory surgery. They go in with a camera through your belly
button to have a look around. This is
actually the only way to officially rule out endometriosis. Given that there weren’t any indications of
this, we decided it wasn’t worth the time, discomfort, and money.
IVF may finally give us some answers when an embryologist
can observe my eggs, the fertilization process, and blastocyst growth under a
microscope. Until then, we are
officially unexplained.
No comments:
Post a Comment